The Capitol 10k on March 29th, 2009 will be a celebration of our hard work and dedication. Here is where we can share our victories and struggles, find new motivation and fight through the setbacks. We're all 6.2 miles away from something we never thought we'd do...finishing the race.

Sunday, February 15, 2009

Are you still in?

It seems that this idea to run the capitol 10k was born two days ago, not five months ago. But somehow we're 42 days shy of the big day. Yikes!

I've certainly not been as dedicated as I hoped. I've had a few "injuries", let the bad weather get to me, allowed children to be an excuse, and just been plain lazy. But I'm still doing it. I'm registered. I'm going. I'm running. I'm finishing.

And I need to know who else out there is still planning on going. And not so I can make you feel like a loser if for some reason you can no longer participate. But so we can start making plans. We should carpool, share hotels(or something), coordinate a dinner the night before, etc. If for some reason you can't go, it's fine. It really is. The cool thing about this race - it's every year. Maybe this year got away from you...but next year could be yours!

Also, I was thinking about something.
You might have wanted to run the whole thing.
You might have had a goal to finish under such and such time.
You may be afraid you're going to disappoint yourself.
But, you know what? On March 29th, over 15000 people will be running, walking, jogging, sprinting, even wheeling, themselves along the path of the capitol 10k. They will all have a fight, their own reason, their own goal. And the thing about goals - they're just that - goals. If achieved too easily, you set the bar too low. It's the fight, even the failures, that can make the victory so much sweeter. This may not be your year to run the whole thing, or beat a time, or finish how you want, but it is your first year to put your foot to the pavement and give it everything you have on that day.

So, if you're disappointed with how little you've trained or worried that you may look weak. Frustrated with another goal you maybe won't achieve, or scared to simply fail, I would like to encourage you to still try and go. Because, it's an experience you'll never forget. And you'll realize it is possible. And that you're not a quitter. And you'll want to go back.

And then there are those of you who can't wait to rock the socks right off this race. To run right past every body you possibly can. You've run in rain and cold and when it hurt and when you wanted to quit. You're ready to fight tooth and nail for this victory. March 29th can't get here fast enough. And, my friends, the race is ready for you, too. Victory will be yours because you wouldn't accept anything less.

I'm not going to sprint through this race like i hoped I would be. And, I maybe won't even beat my dad's time, but I'm doing this. Because not even trying...well, that's simply not an option.

So, I need to know.
Are you, ready or not, still in?
Email me, sprinkleofgrace@gmail.com, text me, call me, find me somehow and let me know...

7 comments:

Sara_Smiles said...

quitters are us. no training happened over here. just life... and school. I hate to disappoint... we are most disappointed in ourselves... but, so is life.

Sarah said...

We're still in. Michael & I both registered. Michael's pretty injured (sad!), but he's still trying to slowly train... he had a good/pain-free day yesterday! We're planning on staying with friends... and I'm actually helping give a bridal shower the day before, so who knows what our schedule will look like? But, we're in. :)

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately Alex and I won't be there. I cannot run without excruciating shin splints coming on. I was up to a little over 4 miles when I was training and was doing so good. I had a very good cry about not being able to go this year, but I know it's a goal I can reach even if it's next year. Thank you again, Jennny, for thinking of us. Thank you for including us in your goal. I pray that God bless you while you run and that not only reach your goal, but exceed it! Your Dad will be so proud watching you from above. Love ya!

tpot said...

micah and I are in! We've been training, not as regular as either of us would like, but we've been running at least 3 times a week. So, our goal is to run it the whole way, God willing! It may not be fast, but we want to run.

Tammie said...

I'm still planning on it, but I haven't signed up yet. I'll do it next week.

Jenni said...

I'm in. I registered. I will finish even if it takes me 2 hours.

If I ever see my husband again (post-rodeo), I'll figure out the car situation and let you know.

Leslie said...

As much as I hate to say this, I don't think Cody and I are going to be able to run next weekend. I was doing pretty good with training until the cold weather. Since then I have ran very, very little. Top that off with fighting sickness and house remodeling. Too many excuses I know but I am not quite sure I would be able to run much of the race at all. I am sure that I could walk it but that is not what I want to do! I am so proud of everyone who is sticking with it. I will do this one day - hopefully next year :o)